Year Two art has been very exciting over the last couple of weeks. As well as completing our Kenyan silhouette pictures, we have been preparing plain white t-shirts for tie dyeing. Instead of string we have used elastic bands to tie the material. We had a few ideas as to how we could create different patterns and were all very excited to see them begin to come to fruition today. We learned that we could create striped by rolling the t-shirt up and then positioning rubber bands all along at intervals. Marbles and dice have been secured with rubber bands to leave small circular patterns. Sunburst patterns have also been popular – to achieve this effect we had to pull the middle of the t-shirt up into a point and then put rubber bands all along the piece which was sticking up. Some of us found twisting th stunner bands into place quite hard. Unsurprisingly the girls, who have lots of practice with hair bobbles, generally found it easier than the boys!
The process of dyeing began today and we have had three colours to choose from – red, blue and yellow. Not the house colours, in case you were wondering, but rather colours which might be used for clothing in Kenya. First we had to place the tied t-shirts in the bucket of dye and stir it very carefully with a stick. As you can imagine, we were covered with aprons and wore protective gloves too… Just in case!
After stirring it for a few minutes, the t-shirts were rinsed thoroughly and then came the tricky job of removing allthose pesky rubber bands! The results were worth waiting for as you will see from the photos. We can’t wait to wear them!