Tag Archives: tie dye

Art Day Part 1 – Tie Dye Teamwork

Art Day is underway at LJS and we are throwing ourselves into our first activity of the day. During the day, we are working on installations and individual pieces of art work which will be displayed at the Yarrow Gallery in Oundle in April and May. The displays in the gallery will showcase the ’13 Techniques a Child Should Know’ theme and has been organised by our Head of Art, Mrs Ashby.

 Mrs Clayton is our Teaching Assistant for Art and Design and we are excited to have her working with the a infants today. She showed Year 2 how to fold, scrunch and tie pieces of material to make different patterns and designs; we have even used marbles and beads to add extra interest. We worked in pairs to tie the knits as it is quite tricky. Some of us didn’t think we could tie knots but we’ve found we can all do it, especially when we help each other! Teamwork is definitely the key!

Mrs Clayton is going to use coloured dye to transform our pieces of fabric. We can’t wait to see the patterns we have created with our folds and knots. The dye will not be able to reach the material where it is folded and tied; that’s how the patterns will be made. 

         

Advertisements

Terrific Tie Dye

Year Two art has been very exciting over the last couple of weeks. As well as completing our Kenyan silhouette pictures, we have been preparing plain white t-shirts for tie dyeing. Instead of string we have used elastic bands to tie the material. We had a few ideas as to how we could create different patterns and were all very excited to see them begin to come to fruition today. We learned that we could create striped by rolling the t-shirt up and then positioning rubber bands all along at intervals. Marbles and dice have been secured with rubber bands to leave small circular patterns. Sunburst patterns have also been popular – to achieve this effect we had to pull the middle of the t-shirt up into a point and then put rubber bands all along the piece which was sticking up. Some of us found twisting th stunner bands into place quite hard. Unsurprisingly the girls, who have lots of practice with hair bobbles, generally found it easier than the boys!

The process of dyeing began today and we have had three colours to choose from – red, blue and yellow. Not the house colours, in case you were wondering, but rather colours which might be used for clothing in Kenya. First we had to place the tied t-shirts in the bucket of dye and stir it very carefully with a stick. As you can imagine, we were covered with aprons and wore protective gloves too… Just in case!

After stirring it for a few minutes, the t-shirts were rinsed thoroughly and then came the tricky job of removing allthose pesky  rubber bands! The results were worth waiting for as you will see from the photos. We can’t wait to wear them!